In this Section
- Mission Statement
- Research Portfolio
- Projects & Initiatives
- Strategic Plan
- History of NIAAA
- 40th Anniversary
- Donations to NIAAA
- Interagency Coordinating Committee on Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders
- ICCFASD Meeting Agenda 2015 April 15
- Organization of ICCFASD
- Five-Year Reports and Strategic Plans
- Proceedings from Special Focus Workshops and Conferences
Guided by our mission to lead the nation’s research efforts on alcohol use and abuse, NIAAA supports research conducted within the Institute, as well as in institutions around the world.
Extramural research is research conducted by organizations outside the NIH with NIH support through grants, contracts, or cooperative agreements.
NIAAA’s extramural research includes both clinical and basic science research.
Clinical research comprises more than 30 percent of NIAAA’s extramural research, and includes programs in:
- Health Services
The laboratories and researchers housed within NIAAA seek to unravel the biological basis of alcohol use disorders and related problems, and to develop new strategies to prevent and treat these disorders.
Learn more about the NIAAA:
- Research Portfolio – NIAAA’s research priorities and topics
- Projects & Initiatives – Critical research areas we support with dedicated programs, studies, and working groups
- Strategic Plan – The broad principles that guide NIAAA’s alcohol research studies through 2014
- Advisory Council – The group of research experts who advise the Institute on program and policy matters in alcohol research
- Institute History