You are here
Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician's Guide
And Related Professional Support Resources
- The Guide
- Medications update (10/08)
- Online training activity
- Forms for downloading
- PowerPoint™ slide show
- Manuals from Project COMBINE
- Other publications for professionals
- Helping Patients Who Drink Too Much: A Clinician's Guide, Updated 2005 Edition [ PDF ]
- A Pocket Guide for Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention [ PDF ]
- Spanish Edition: Ayudando a Pacientes Que Beben en Exceso—Guia Para Profesionales de la Salud [ PDF ]
This course may be viewed for training, but CME/CE credits are no longer available. Of note, the assessment used in the scenarios is based on DSM-IV criteria, whereas clinicians are encouraged to switch to DSM-5 criteria by October 2014. Nevertheless, viewers who wish to learn strategies for effective clinical interviews and intervention for heavy alcohol use will benefit from watching these engaging, interactive video case scenarios.
Assessment support materials:
- Assessment Support
- Baseline and followup progress notes
- Medications management support templates
- Wallet Cards (fits Avery® templates 8371, 8372, 8373, 8376, and 8377)
- Month-at-a-glance calendar
- Patient drinking diary forms (also see the tracking cards on the Rethinking Drinking Web site)
This 80-slide PowerPoint™ show helps instructors to present the content of the Guide to students and professionals in general medicine and mental health fields. It takes viewers step-by-step through the Guide's process for alcohol screening and brief intervention and showcases the helpful materials in the appendix. To access the slide views without animation, viewers may download a PDF version.
"Using the NIAAA Clinician's Guide"
Although designed with the research community in mind, these manuals hold a wealth of guidance for clinicians in general medical or mental health practices who wish to offer (1) medication management support for patients prescribed a medication for alcohol dependence or (2) state-of-the-art specialized alcohol counseling.
Rethinking Drinking booklet [PDF] and order form -- 16-page booklet describes risky drinking patterns and symptoms of a problem, and provides support and resources for making a change
Rethinking Drinking Web site - provides interactive tools for assessing and changing risky drinking